April Fools’ Day pranks lose popularity among students

April Fools’ Day often brings back memories of pranks of grade and high school.

Back then, it seemed like pranks were being done by everyone including teachers, but are people still pulling pranks on each other for April Fools’ Day, or has it faded away as we grow up?

“I do not pull pranks on this day,” said Grossmont student Shane Golding. “I have had a few pulled on me, but it has never been my thing to pull pranks.”

Golding said her ideas of the day have changed over the years.

“I never liked the day when I was younger because kids were cruel, but as I have gotten older, I forget that April 1 is some kind of holiday. I just treat it like any other day,” she said.

Golding said it seems like fewer people celebrate the day now.

“It may still be fun for younger kids, but as a 21-year-old, it doesn’t seem that popular,” she said.

Student John Morrison shared similar thoughts: “I don’t enjoy April Fools’ Day, but it’s because it comes from my experience with it. People would pull cruel pranks and put it on to the fact that it’s April Fools, and I understand there are different levels of pranks and chuckles, but I think people have turned a fun day into a day worth fearing.”

Morrison said he does not pull pranks on people on April 1.

“To some, it may be funny, but to me, it’s not my cup of tea,” he said. “I think April Fools is a bit of an outdated concept and holiday if you can even call it that.”

Morrison said he felt differently when he was a child.

“I think when I was a kid, I would enjoy one or two pranks here and there, but April Fools’ are geared more towards children and child pranks,” he said. “When I was a kid, I would pull pranks or attempt to on all my friends, but as I’ve gotten older fits just another April 1 and not something I look forward to or participate in.”

It seems at least among some Grossmont students that the traditional day of practical jokes may be a thing of the past.

“It may have had a fun run in the hay day, but in modern times you’ve got to watch out what you say and when you say it or who you prank,” Morrison said.

“I see it as nowadays pranks may not be seen as funny and more as an attack or deliberate rudeness,” he added. “I may not enjoy the day, but I don’t wish it upon everyone else to attack anyone because they said a little joke. It’s a scary world to pull pranks; the older we get, the fewer and fewer pranks will be pulled.”

As we grow older, April Fools’ Day may have lost the charm it held during primary school.