Riding the Waves

Surf Club is one of the newest clubs to be chartered at Grossmont College. Started last semester by five students and the faculty advisor Natalie Ray, Surf Club provides the opportunity for students to learn how to surf or engage in an activity they’re already interested in.

“We did find a very cheap place,” Suarez said. “It’s called South Coast P.B. and they’re $8 per rental so that might be a challenge for some students but we’re looking to get funding.”

After the group bonded over surfing, they began going to the beach every Sunday.

“We really got out on the wave, and we really wanted to give the students of Grossmont the opportunity to come surfing with us,” Club President Isaac Suarez said.

The club isn’t just for people who already know how to surf though. The ICC Representative of the club Parinya “Anna” Chanvannasy didn’t know anything about how to surf until last semester.

“I’d say one of them would be Anna learning how to surf because I think she was the only one in our club currently that did not know how to surf and she learned within like two days,” said Suarez when asked about highlights of the club so far.

Although their meeting times are Sundays, the specific times aren’t all official.

“The weather is probably the biggest problem we are facing right now,” Chanvannasy said. “Because we cannot surf in this kind of cold.”

It also greatly depends on other weather conditions like rain which can lead to them engaging in other activities as a group.

There are also other options than just surfing for students that attend their meetings such as volleyball, kickball or simply watching the sunset and surfers. This can help students who don’t want to commit to paying for rentals or buying gear, which may not be affordable to everyone.

“I just believe that getting out of your house, like in nature, really kind of makes all of these worries about school or all of these problems about school so small because it’s like we’re part of something so big,” Suarez said.

There are no plans yet for any fundraiser events, but it’s something the club has expressed interest in wanting to do so that anyone from any economic background can participate.

Another challenge the Surf Club is facing is finding parking in Pacific Beach.

“I remember I spent the first almost hour trying to find parking,” Suarez said. “Then I also would bring my surfboard so it would not be fun but…when you catch the sun and you catch the right parking it’s very fun.

Participating in the club may be beneficial for students to relieve stress built up during the semester.

One of the plans the Surf Club has for the future is a collaboration with International Club where they will have a beach party for graduation.

“I’m looking for what to collaborate with other clubs to keep our club active and if we help each other it’s going to be easier,” said Chanvannasy when asked what she was looking forward to.

This would also be their first time collaborating with another club at Grossmont.

“We welcome everyone to join us even if you cannot surf at all or you know how to surf already; come and join us to experience new things and meet new people,” Chanvannasy said. “I met a lot of incredible people there.”