Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Griffins baseball focuses on the good.
Alessandro Pabon
Grossmont vs. Palomar

Historically, the Griffins baseball team has been very good; it won a state championship in 2017 and has not finished below .500 since 2012.

Currently, they are sitting at a 10-18 record with 10 games left. While it is looking like they could finish below .500 for the first time in a dozen years, the team could always get hot and rally off a win streak to end the year. 

The thing with sports is that regardless of the wins and losses you can learn lessons that go beyond the field. Riley Hughes, a pitcher for Grossmont, said he believes that ”you can’t do everything by yourself.” For Hughes, this is the biggest lesson he has learned so far that applies to more than baseball.

The Griffins fell short in their most recent game against Palomar, losing 5-2 in a game that could have gone either way. Michael Sweeney was the first person to touch home plate in the bottom of the fourth, thanks to a hit from Juan Nunez, but Palomar answered back in the top of the fifth to take the lead 2-1. 

In the top of the seventh, Palomar hit a homer to left field to extend its lead to 3-1. The Griffins were able to get something going in the bottom of the seventh by scoring on a walk while the bases were loaded. The Griffins would remain scoreless for the rest of the game while Palomar got two more runs in the top of the ninth, bringing the final score to 5-2.

Even with the tough loss, head coach Randy Abshier still looked at the positives. 

“We had great pitching from Fox. “We had great pitching from Granados and from Jorgensen, so after something like this we just try to keep positive, again no errors limited the punchouts battled had great attitude in the dugout,” Abshier said.

Just because it is the tail end of the baseball season and it has not gone the Griffins’ way so far doesn’t mean it has to end negatively.

Abshier said, “You always want to end the season on a winning note so that you at least can go into the off-season with a win under your belt.”