Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Inclusion Knows No Bounds

ARC promotes empowerment and understanding through Disability Awareness Month.

Every October, Disability Awareness Month helps advocate for providing equal rights, access and opportunities for individuals with disabilities. 

The main objective of the month is to raise awareness, break stereotypes, advocate for accessibility, and have empathy and understanding toward those who have a disability.

At Grossmont College Accessibility Resource Center, known as ARC, students have been invited to take part in Disability Awareness Month activities with a number of events to celebrate inclusiveness. 

ARC already hosted events that included an information table and a social hour where other students and staff can meet one another and make great connections. Upcoming events include two Zoom meetings: “ARC Guide to Access” on Oct. 11 from noon to 1 p.m., and “Workplace Accommodations” on Oct. 26 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. 

Student Service Specialist Melissa Benton said the department hopes “Disability Awareness Month will increase attention to the ARC building and its resources for students. 

“We need a lot more exposure, and the more exposure we have, the more students will have access to us,” Benton added.

Located in Building 60, ARC is more than a place where accommodations are available. There are other resources that can be very useful to all students who have an Independent Educational Plan (IEP) or a disability that requires additional help in classes, as well as other resources to be successful at Grossmont. After students register with ARC, they are able to take advantage of various accommodations, including additional time on tests, quiet room space for testing with headphones if needed, tutoring sessions, and their own academic counselor to help them pick classes each semester.

ARC Counselor Christine Ho said “community” comes to mind when she thinks of Disability Awareness Month. “I think it’s a designated time where we can create awareness … within the broader community and here at Grossmont College,” Ho said.

In collaboration with Career Services, there will also be a “Day in the Life” event Oct. 24 at 11 a.m. featuring two CAREERworks employees, Program Manager Chantel Mesta and Workforce Development Coordinator Alexias Plazola.  ARC will also host future social hours on Nov. 8 and Dec. 13 from noon to 1 p.m. in 60-120.

Grossmont participates in Disability Awareness Month to raise awareness of the experiences of people with disabilities. The month will always aspire to create equal opportunities and stand up for those who have disabilities and who want to work and be secure in their life. We all need to embrace the opportunities of diversity and work together to build a better community and an inclusive society.