Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Cyber Scams

With cyber kidnapping now targeting international students, it is important for college students to stay vigilant.
Cyber+Scams
Taissa Bullitt

It is nothing new that scammers affect many people around the world. In America, scam calls, messages and emails are becoming more frequent every day. It is not uncommon to hear a friend or family member say they have received a text message containing a link from a number that claims to be their bank. Many Americans fall victim to these messages and end up clicking on links that help scammers obtain very important information, such as their social security number and bank information. 

However, Americans are not the only victims of cyber crimes in the United States. Many international students visiting or living in the United States are now becoming cyber criminals’ main targets. Cyber kidnapping is a scam in which perpetrators trick people into thinking they, or their loved, ones are in danger. Scammers use the internet, as well as threats, to force and extort money from the victim’s family or friends.

In late December 2023, Kai Zhuang, a 17-year-old Chinese student, was reported missing near Salt Lake City. Zhuang was a victim of the most recent case of cyber kidnapping that had been broadcast online. Zhuang was missing for a few days and was later found alone and freezing in a tent in the mountains. Authorities reported that Zhuang’s case was part of a cyber kidnapping scheme where perpetrators were trying to extort $80,000 from his family in China. 

The cyber kidnapping scheme works by extorting money from the families or friends of the victim by pretending to have kidnapped them when in fact, no actual kidnapping has happened.

Vulnerability

Nicole Conklin, director of Public Safety at Grossmont College, said in an email: “A lot of people think they aren’t vulnerable to scams. Something as simple as scanning a QR code can become nefarious quickly. Being able to remain vigilant and educated about cyber crimes is the best way for students and anyone else to avoid becoming the next victims.” 

During a busy school semester, many vendors and petitioners can be found on campus asking for signatures or donations. Being approached during your lunch break or on your way to your car can make you feel pressured, which is why many students may end up signing petitions or making donations without knowing what they are supporting or signing. 

“A lot of questions arise when we have people raising money on the quad or asking for signatures,” Conklin said. “GCCCD is a limited public forum where free speech is permitted unless it is disruptive to the learning environment. So to be clear, the colleges are not in any way affiliated with vendors or petitioners located on our campuses and we cannot endorse or verify causes presented by individuals asking for information, donations or signatures.”

Not all students are aware some of the petitioners or vendors on campus are not affiliated with the school, which leads to the question, “Can we be getting scammed even on campus?”

Lieutenant Chris Katra, who works for the Lakeside Sheriff’s Substation, gave insight on cyber criminals’ main targets, why they are “chosen” by these criminals and how to avoid becoming a victim of cyber kidnapping and other scams.  

According to Katra, most of the time the people on the other end of an email, phone call or text message are outside of the United States. He also mentioned many of these scams are run by other countries that deal with a lot of poverty such as Nigeria. These scams are mostly done by groups of criminals or organizations that are set up for cyber scams. 

Most of the criminals who are caught involved in scams or cyber crimes are the “little guys” who work for a bigger organization. Since most of these organizations and groups are outside of the United States, it becomes difficult to hold these criminals accountable. 

The main victims of cyber crimes are immigrants who face language barriers, elderly people who are not tech-savvy, and college students and young adults.

The Federal Trade Commission Consumer Advice website reported “scammers who target immigrants offer to help them with completing forms and other services in the immigration process. They typically ask for an upfront fee, take the money, and run — without providing any help at all.”

Katra said, “The biggest way to protect yourself from a scam is to not get into it in the first place.” 

Protecting Yourself

According to him, people fall for these scams daily. Katra also said that if you just take a minute to call a friend, or even the police station, to double-check if these messages or calls sound legitimate, you can avoid getting scammed. 

One of the most important actions to take when you are concerned that you have been scammed or know someone who has been scammed is to report the crime. For authorities to take proper measures, these crimes need to be reported. 

When it comes to protecting ourselves from scams, the best way to stay safe is to stay informed on the topic and know how to avoid it. Katra said that Grossmont College students who wish to learn more about how to take proper precautions and avoid getting scammed can visit the Campus and Parking Services (CAPS) office, where they can grab informational pamphlets and ask to speak to one of the deputies on campus.

Cybercrimes should be taken seriously as they can quickly turn someone’s life upside down. International students, who often rely on school resources, would benefit immensely from emails updating them on these recent crimes affecting their community. 

“I think that international students are an easy target,” said Ruslan Lakerbaia, an international student from Russia. Lakerbaia said the college should warn the younger generation of international students about cyber kidnapping and that this information could be shared with students during International Club meetings, etc. 

In an article, Anayat Durrani, a writer for the U.S. News & World Report, said: “Experts advise international students to store their Social Security card in a secure location rather than carry it with them; shred nonessential documents that list personal information; and avoid opening emails from unknown sources and clicking on suspicious hyperlinks.”

Cybercrimes, just like any other crime, have to be reported to law enforcement. Victims are encouraged to call the police station in their jurisdiction and file a report. For international crimes, the FBI’s website also provides resources on reporting these crimes, which can help the organiztion track cybercriminals. 

“It has to be reported,” Katra said. “That is the first step, you have to make a report.”  

If you believe you fell victim to a cybercrime, contact your local police station and file a report. Make sure to have proof of evidence a crime was committed, such as screenshots of emails, phone calls, text messages, etc. For more information on cybercrimes, visit the FBI’s website. Stay informed and protect yourself from scams. 

View Comments (1)
$0
$500