Navigating Education Without a Home

College students tackling housing insecurity.
Image by Brett Sayles

Through Spring, Summer, Winter, and Fall, Grossmont Students have been through it all. The last thing any student wants is to be chilled with fear and uncertainty about their living situation. 

Not all Grossmont College students can afford the cost of living in California. In the state of California, 22 percent of women and men between the ages of 18 and 26 are at risk of homelessness. 

Most students drop out of school because of low income or little family support. Certain students show early signs of housing insecurity: some resort to couch surfing, sleeping in their cars, or sleeping on the streets. This can have a devastating effect on a student’s academic performance, health, and overall well-being.

Oscar Meza, a second-year student at Grossmont College, did not give up as he struggled through his experience of being unhoused in 2021. Additionally, housing insecurity can lead to increased stress, anxiety, and social isolation; it makes it difficult for students to focus on their studies and form meaningful connections with their peers. 

Although Meza was met with hardship as a young adult, he remained in school. Meza shared: “I had to quit work for a year and had a lot of anxiety.” Meza found a place to call home for a while with San Diego Youth Services. “Even though I had conflictions with family at home, I remained in contact with his sister,” Meza expressed.

Meza shared how he was determined to make a better future for himself. “When times get rough don’t give up look for the good things,” Meza said. Despite his obstacles, Meza persevered and remained optimistic to reach his goals. 

Local staff from The Lodge Of La Mesa shelter shared, “Being homeless is frightening, and finding stability from ages 18 to 20 is hard, especially if you have no connections and/or family.”

“Look for the light at the end of the tunnel,” Meza said. In the future, Meza hopes to have his very own house where he can work in leading a church and being happy and healthy.

Some Grossmont College students have no luck finding housing simply because they are unaware of the resources that are available to them. Homeless students often lack access to resources such as food, clothing, and medical care, all of which are beneficial for a student’s success. Not having access to these resources leaves students with a lack of stability, additional hardship, and difficulty achieving academic success. 

If you are currently experiencing homelessness as a student, continue to advocate for yourself and utilize the resources available on campus.

For more information, email Student Services Specialist, Brandy Wisdom at [email protected], and for access to food and toiletries, stop by Gizmo’s Kitchen on campus in Building 60-206.

You can also visit Basic Needs in the Griffin Center (60-206). Their hours are Monday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Tuesday to Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Here are some programs in San Diego County you can get in touch with to discuss your current situation:

Doors of Change | For youth in need, contact: 760-415-0009

Urban Street Angels

San Diego Day Center

San Diego Youth Services

The San Diego LGBT Community Center