Baseball, Buffalo Soldiers, Afro-Cuban Jazz, Gospel … It’s Black History Month on campus!

GROSSMONT COLLEGE (Press Release)–“A History of the Negro Baseball Leagues,” will be the subject of a free lecture by , documentary filmmaker and motivational speaker, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 8, in Building #26, Room #220,

The history of the Negro Baseball League (1920-1960) is draped in a fabric that mirrors America’s culture from segregation to integration.

Motley’s presentation will show how the progression of America’s race relation journey is reflected in events that unfolded in the Negro Baseball Leagues. The presentation will include segments from Oh How They Lived, Stories of the Negro Leagues, a television documentary that he produced.

The documentary includes interviews with Motley’s father, who was an umpire in the Negro Leagues. The presentation at Grossmont College is funded by a grant from the college’s World Arts and Cultures Committee.

February  began with posters celebrating Black History Month being posted around the campus.   Other campus Black History events will include:

Friday, Feb. 11: Drop in the Bucket & Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.:  Building Water Wells in Sub-Saharan Africa, 6:30 p.m.,  Room 220.

Monday, Feb. 14: Presentation by Eric Smith, author of  From Crack to Clergy; 10:00 a.m. – Main Quad

Tuesday, Feb. 15:  Presentation by  Eric Smith, author of  From Crack to Clergy;  8:15 a.m.,  Room 220

Wednesday, Feb. 16:  Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.,  Step Show Presentation,  Noon,  Main Quad, and History of Soul Food with Chef Eddie Williams,  12:30 p.m. – Main Quad

Tuesday, Feb. 22:  Performance by the Afro-Cuban Jazz Ensemble,  Noon, Main Quad,

Thursday, Feb. 24: Appearance by the Buffalo Soldiers,  Noon, Main Quad

Friday, Feb. 25:  Performance by Prof.  Randall Tweed, and  Ken Anderson, the Grossmont Gospel Choir and the Master Chorale, 7:30 p.m.,  Room 220.

*
Preceding provided by Grossmont Community College public relations office and Grossmont College office of student affairs.