Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

College radio to cover GC baseball live

Griffin Girl Arianna Nevins interviewed the featured player for the week of March 1, #23 infielder Kenny Beltzer.

GROSSMONT COLLEGE — Did you know that Grossmont College owns and operates a fully functional radio station? Yes, it’s true! As part of the Media Communication’s degree curriculum, the Department offers a class, MCOM119 sections A-D, in which students learn about on and off-air radio/audio production techniques and what it takes to manage, produce and operate at a radio station.

This spring MCOM119, better known as Griffin Radio, will be providing live radio coverage of all of Grossmont baseball home games each Tuesday and Thursday, starting at 2 p.m. Grossmont students Vince Ruffino and Andrew Vasquez will be announcing the games.

In addition to play-by-play coverage, the radio station’s promotion workers (aka Griffin Girls) will be interviewing featured players and giving away customized “Player Packs” to fans attending at Noel Mickelson field. Attendees will have the opportunity to win these great swag bags by correctly answering baseball-themed trivia questions throughout the game. The contest is sponsored by Grossmont College and Griffin Radio.

Last week, the Griffin baseball team played San Diego City, Imperial Valley, Palomar and Southwestern Community Colleges. Despite the clear skies, Tuesday and Thursday’s home games were no improvement to the team’s gloomy record. Tuesday’s game against San Diego City College ended 7-4, favoring the Knights, while Thursday’s home game was deemed a loss to the Imperial Valley Arabs with a final score of 6-4. Wednesday, the Griffins played Palomar in a make-up game from the prior week which was rained out. Again, Grossmont took the backseat to the Comets with a 4-2 loss. In an effort to raise their Pacific Conference standings, the Griffin baseball team took the win in a nail-biting finish Saturday on the Southwestern campus against the Jaguars with an ending tally of 8-6 in the top of the 12th inning.

As of March 8, 2011, the Griffin baseball team stands 5-8-1 in the season and 1-3 in our Conference, ranking us 5th. This week, the Griffins are set to play San Diego Mesa College on Wednesday, March 9 (a one-day postponement from the schedule) and Palomar on Thursday March 10. Be sure to tune in and listen LIVE to hear both games, play-by-play, without interruption.

Nicolle Fedor is an MCCOM119 student and a special contributor to the GCSummit.