Henry Jordan’s spirited farewell to Grossmont

Corey Streeper

GROSSMONT COLLEGE- The end is near, the end of the semester that is. With finals looming over and a lot of students trying to decide what they will do when it is all over the campus is in a frenzy of indecision. One thing is for sure though: this is the last chance in the spring semester to catch a Grossmont Theatre Arts performance.

Not only is Blithe Spirit the final show for the semester, but It is also Professor Henry Jordan’s farewell play with Grossmont College. He has decided to retire after 22 years on our campus and over 44 plays directed.

Jordan lets the curtain fall laughing with this Noel Coward play. Written in 1941 to lighten the mood during World War II it is considered an improbable farce. This play may be the perfect distraction from the stress of cramming for finals.

The plot is about a middle aged writer Charles Condomime (Daniel Ludwig) who invites a medium (Kate Hewitt) to his home to perform a séance, and from the moment she enters the home hilarity ensues. She somehow conjures the spirit of his dead wife Elvira (Erin Burke) who spends the rest of the play very comically torturing his second wife (Lisa Brindley) and making her best attempts to kill him.

This play is a laugh riot from start to finish and will keep you enthralled until the curtain call. With a surprise ending you’re sure to get your money’s worth out of Blithe Spirit. It’s playing on campus at the Stagehouse Theatre on Saturday afternoon and evening, May 14, and again at 7:30 p.m . May18-21, with a  2 pm matinee May 21.

Says Jordan: “if you like the show, tell everyone and if you don’t keep your mouth shut.”

*
Streeper is a student in Media Comm 132.  He may be contacted at [email protected]