District gathers student ideas for future educational programming

Dylan Burke
    Dylan Burke

GROSSMONT COLLEGE—The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District periodically holds Educational Master Planning Forums to identify aspects of the two colleges that people like and to learn what students believe should be improved.

Thirteen students on Wednesday, Sept. 21, attended such a forum in Building 34, room 170, to discuss what Grossmont needs to do in the long run to make for a better school.

In a meeting with Chancellor Cindy L. Miles and Jerry Buckley, senior dean for research and planning, students were asked three questions: One, what is the going well at the colleges that we need to be sure we don’t lose? What works for you? Two, what would make it even better? Three, what else do you want us to know?

Michael Wais, a comparative literature student, said he felt Grossmont is an excellent school, but wishes that there was a location closer to him. While internet classes are okay, he said he would prefer more face-to-face interaction.

The consensus among the attendees was that Grossmont College has an excellent faculty and staff. “The staff gives a lot of attention to the individual student,” Wais said.

Of the 13 students, seven said they are studying at Grossmont for their third year; one student had been on campus four years; 10 students were working toward Associates of Art degrees, 12 students anticipated transferring to a 4- year institution; two students were working at full time jobs and four students had part time jobs.

The purpose of the event was to gather input concerning where Grossmont is headed for 5, 10, 15 or 20 years in the future.

*
    Burke is a student in Media Comm 132; he may be contacted at [email protected]