Lady Griffins close out basketball season with a lopsided win

GROSSMONT COLLEGE– Nicole Harris led the way with 23 points and Stevi Cooper added 22 as the Lady Griffins blew out San Diego City College 77-30.

The Griffins jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. This was in part to the pinpoint shooting of Harris and Cooper. The basketball game was a mismatch as San Diego City College only played five players while Grossmont played all nine. By half time the game was out of reach for San Diego City College, however the second half was more competitive than the previous period. The break didn’t seem to disturb Grossmont as all nine players scored.

Wednesday  night, Feb. 15, at Griffin Arena was also a special event as Coaches vs Cancer took place. The annual basketball game where coaches wear pink clothing and players wear pink socks. There were also pink ribbons for those in attendance to help raise donations in the fight against cancer.  Simultaneously  it was “sophomore night,” Grossmont’s version of Senior Night. Coach Karen Caires  recognized all seven players and their families with kind words and gift bags.

The sophomores who are leaving are Nicole Harris, Stevi Cooper, Eygiel Limbo, Ashleigh King, Shateara Henderson, Andrea Bird, and Darriel Hall. Thanks in part to hard work and dedication the graduating Griffin Woman’s class was sent out with a bang and finished the season with a winning record at 15-14.

*
Spillane is a student in Media Comm 132A.  [email protected]