Why Not Me?

Why Not Me?

Sandi Westrand, Staff Writer

How To Face Rejection

The transfer response arrived. You opened the letter, and stared at it with disbelief. You weren’t accepted to your
preferred university. Rejection leads the myriad of emotions that run through your mind.
Rejection and disappointment are difficult to manage when you are already overwhelmed with class assignments,
work, relationships and everyday student life. Now, you are forced to make alternate preparations amidst the other
activities that demand your attention. How does one handle a major disappointment after exclusively setting their
aspirations and goals only to be denied their choice?

Allow yourself brief episodes of self-pity and to sort out other emotions—e.g. disappointment, shame, sorrow and
anger that are competing for attention. It is natural to experience these feelings accompanied by the desire to temporarily
withdraw from others. But students can’t stay down in the dumps for too long as dwelling on negative and conflicting
emotions can be destructive to self-esteem and affect daily routines.

• Take time to chill and indulge in an activity that brings you joy and uplifts your mood. Literally, stop. Smell
the flowers. And enjoy the simplicity of nature’s beauty. Open that book or start your favorite movie to elicit good
feelings and laughter. Elevate your mood with music or social media. Lastly, physical activity is always beneficial.

• Remain calm and carry on because help is available. Head over to the Counseling Center for assistance to figure
out your next steps. Collaborate with peers for support and assistance. Faculty members may provide additional
suggestions and information. Remain receptive to alternate options and allow yourself some time to sort out the
information before making a decision.

• Continue to focus on your accomplishments and how you have worked hard to obtain the opportunity to transfer
to a higher institution. Give yourself a pat on the back because you deserve one. Look at what you have achieved.
Meanwhile, you still need to prepare for midterms and complete projects to finish out the rest of the semester. Your
efforts will be rewarded. Go for it!

If you find difficulty overcoming those negative emotions and they are dragging you down, mental health counseling
services are available free of charge at the Student Health Center, located in Building 60.