Hyde Gallery On-Hold

The Hyde Gallery is forced to push back its shows to next semester due to construction.

Hyde Gallery On-Hold

Matisse Sanchez, Writer

The Hyde Gallery is having to push back its shows to next semester and won’t be scheduling any new exhibits due to construction happening on the Performing and Visual Arts Center. Nevertheless the Hyde Gallery is getting ready for its upcoming semester, and is already planning the next shows for students.

Alex DeCosta, Hyde Gallery’s director, is planning special showings for next semester’s Grossmont students. The first show the Hyde Gallery will exhibit will be a past and present faculty show. “We’re inviting past faculty from the past 50 years to come and show alongside present faculty,” DeCosta said, and will be showing starting the first day of school up until mid February. 

“We have work from faculty that have past and that are no longer alive, we are going to show those works and invite those that are still around to come back,” DeCosta says. 

The second exhibit that will be going on will be a solo show featuring the works of a retired faculty member. Suda House, now a retired professor, worked at Grossmont College as a Photography and Arts professor. For the past sixteen years House has collaborated with the Museum of Photographic Arts and help coordinate with Grossmont College.

“She is a very prominent photographer here in San Diego,” DeCosta says. Her show will be showcased somewhere between March and April, the dates still not concrete. 

Every semester here at Grossmont ends with a student art show. “We are not a student gallery, our main viewers are students,” DeCosta said “we try to bring artists outside of San Diego because it’s more of an educational resource to students.” Usually being the last show, every art class gets to pick and submit three pieces of art that students have created.