Teen Chefs Level Up

High school students join Grossmont’s culinary program
Teen Chefs Level Up
Nicole Ann Quiambao

The permanent closure of the Art Institute of California on July 12, 2019, left many students and teachers astonished. This abrupt closure resulted in numerous instructors losing their jobs and several students being unable to finish their degrees, some of which were in the culinary arts. 

Despite the closure of the school, which shut down its last campus in Atlanta in September, students still have the opportunity to pursue education in culinary arts at Grossmont College. The school has partnered with Grossmont Union High through an articulation program, where students can skip the introductory class while still having the appropriate preparation. 

“What we try to do with high school is form what we call an articulation agreement,” said Josephine Rossi, the faculty instructor in culinary arts. “We currently have one with Grossmont Union High School. What it means is that they can take culinary classes in their high school. We pair our curriculum with the high school and If they pass the exam that we offer here, they can skip the intro class, CA-169, they would effectively come in a little more advanced.”

District representatives and culinary arts teachers are trying to ensure the curricula are aligned and students are adequately prepared to guarantee the highest quality education for students. The articulation can provide valuable skills they may not receive in high school and can benefit students who learn from experienced chefs who have worked in the industry.

“Everything we do here is meant to prepare students for the professional world. All of our equipment is professional-grade equipment,” Rossi said. “The pace is rigorous. We replicate the pace that students would need to work at to be successful professionals.”

Rossi adds: “We teach a lot of skills beyond just cooking to ready the students professionally, the socialization into a professional kitchen, working efficiently and quickly, and organization and communication skills.” 

Currently, Grossmont College’s Culinary Arts program is trying to negotiate an articulation agreement with another high school, aiming to expand further opportunities for young aspiring chefs.