A Table for Two-key (Turkey)

Being mindful and healthy during Thanksgiving.

Dawson Chappelear, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving, a time to get together and enjoy the presence of friends and family along with a lot of great food. But this year is a little different.

Due to COVID-19 many plans and outings have been disrupted and displaced, Especially since San Diego County went back into the purple tier, indicating the virus is widespread throughout the county, for COVID-19 lockdown protocols.

Jason Stevens, Professor, and Registered Dietitian at Grossmont College had much to say on the topic of Thanksgiving.

As far as risks, the biggest one right now unfortunately is the pandemic that is surging across the country,” Stevens said. “The CDC recommends having a smaller meal with just those in your immediate household or having a “virtual dinner” with your family instead.”

COVID-19 is the big one right now in terms of holiday breakers, but it shouldn’t stop you from having a small gathering with immediate family and having a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

To clear the table and set the grounds, Stevens suggested in an email, “Contrary to what some people imagine, dietitians aren’t the “food police”—rather than labeling foods as “good” or “bad”, we strive to help others achieve a healthy relationship with food, which means thinking about healthier overall patterns of eating and behaviors around food,” Stevens said. “In this way, we say that there are no truly bad foods—everything can be enjoyed, it’s just about achieving balance, variety and moderation.”

Stevens isn’t trying to tell you what you can and can’t eat, especially on Thanksgiving. He just wants individuals to have a healthy relationship with their food

One big point Stevens makes about nutrition is mindfulness. “Rather than labeling certain holiday foods as “off-limits,” I encourage people to choose the foods they will enjoy most as part of their holiday meal, and take time to really savor them,” Stevens said. “ Simply slowing down and really enjoying your food is one way to naturally begin to learn your body’s cues for fullness. This is an aspect of ‘“mindful eating.”

Stevens gave a few sources to help with the healthy eating part:

https://www.eatright.org/health/lifestyle/seasonal/helpful-tips-for-healthy-holiday-parties

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10-tips-for-mindful-eating-just-in-time-for-the-holidays-201511248698

Both these websites give tips for healthy and mindful eating during holiday times.

Be mindful and be safe as you eat this holiday season!