Mother’s Day

Recognizing the importance of Mother’s Day and a list of gift ideas.
Photo by sasint

Mother’s Day is more than a celebration honoring the mother of the family. It’s a celebration of motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. A mother isn’t just a mom. She is capable of many things and carries a lot of responsibilities: cooking, cleaning, working multiple jobs, you can name it. Mothers have a lot on their plate and yet, they manage to still get the job done no matter the circumstances. While all mothers may share the same tasks, no two are alike. Some mothers stay home to care for the kids while others have careers. Some mothers are returning to school for higher education all while seeking a better life for their family at home. No matter their situation, all mothers are special and should be celebrated. Mother’s Day is a day to recognize and honor the women who work tirelessly to improve our lives.

These are some of the responses from students at Grossmont College when asked how their mothers impact their lives:

“My mom gives me the best advice even when I don’t always want to hear it, I know she has my best interests.” – Kili Marshall

“My mother has helped me stronger and fearless, making me a warrior.” – Belem Garcia 

“My mother has taught me the power of self-love and growth through mistakes and maintaining a good attitude towards the future.” – Kimberley Jade

Here is a list of thoughtful gift ideas that you can use to show your love and appreciation on Mother’s Day.

List of Mother’s Day gift ideas: 

• Cooking: Cook your mother a special dish that comes from the heart and is made with love and joy. It can be something you have eaten before or something you looked up from an old cookbook with recipes. 
  • Assorted Flower Arrangements: A nice assorted flower arrangement from a local flower shop can be a great way to show your mother how much she means to you. A variety of her favorite flowers goes a long way. Whether it be a bouquet of red roses or an array of flowers with a multitude of colors such as lilies or irises. The list can go on and on. 
  • Gift Card: A gift card to your mom’s favorite place like Barnes and Noble, Bath and Body Works or even a gift card to her favorite coffee shops such as Starbucks or Better Buzz can show her you care in your special way.
  • Clean the House: Moms in the household are typically in charge of making sure that the house is nice and tidy. Nonetheless, on mom’s special day,  tell her to take the day off and not lay one finger on those cleaning supplies. Give her the day to kick back and relax in bed or to do whatever she pleases. Allow mom to not have to worry about the home for the day. However my dear reader, you probably have some work to do… Let’s get going!
  • Candle Set: Mothers love a nice scented candle that gives them a warm and loving energy so make sure to give her a few candles she can use either around the house or while she takes a nice long bath.

Happy Mother’s Day to all moms around the world.