Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Hispanic Heritage Month

From Sept.15 to Oct.15, we celebrate the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America

History behind the month:

This month-long celebration started as a week-long celebration in 1968. According to the Hispanic Heritage Month webpage, the week took into effect under President Lyndon Johnson. 

In 1988, U.S. President Ronald Regan approved the extension to a month-long celebration. 

“I am glad that we are given a month and that it includes not only the Mexican culture but the whole Latin community,” Grossmont Student Scott Roberts said. “It makes me proud that there are people who take an interest in my culture.”

Mexican Independence Day

Contrary to popular belief, Cinco De Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day. Mexico’s Independence Day falls on Sept. 16. 

In 1810, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, the Catholic priest, gave the Cry of Dolores. The Cry of Dolores marks the moment when Hidalgo rang his church bells and gave a speech declaring the revolt against Spanish rule. 

The historical event is celebrated yearly with the main celebration in Mexico City. Thousands of people gather at the Zócalo as they await the president of Mexico. Meanwhile, several artists perform to the crowds. 

At midnight on the night of Sept. 15, the president of Mexico steps out onto the balcony of the National Palace to ring the same bell Hidalgo did. Following the ringing of the bell and the speech is a fireworks show. 

The morning of, crowds gather in the same area to enjoy a military parade. 

Grossmont Student Kimberly De La Cruz had the opportunity to experience Mexican Independence Day in Guadalajara while visiting her family. 

“The streets were filled with people carrying the flag and dressed in the colors of the flag,” De La Cruz said. “My family lives a few blocks away from the local church where one of the celebrations was and there was food and fireworks everywhere.”

Central American Independence Day

Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua declared their independence from Spanish rule on Sept. 15, 1821. 

The United States acknowledged the independence of the Federation of Central American States on Aug. 4, 1824.

One of the traditions they have in celebration is The Torch Run. Many people gather in Guatemala and travel by foot through the countries until they make it to Costa Rica. They do this to symbolize the messenger who delivered the news of independence.

On-campus events:

Sept. 18: Kick-off of Latinx Heritage Month in the main quad from noon to 1 p.m. with music and churros. 

Sept. 21: Stop by the Griffin Gate from 2 to 3:20 p.m. for the Aloha Compadre Reading, Q&A and book signing with author Dr. Rudy P. Guevarra. 

Sept. 25: Faculty panel discussion on border relations. Time and location TBD.

Sept. 28: Enjoy some cafecito con pan while learning about the new Latin American studies major. Held on the second floor of the Tech Mall (Building 70) from 9 to 11 a.m.

Sept. 30: National Day of Remembrance for Indian Boarding Schools. Please wear orange to remember the indigenous children who passed while attending Indian Boarding Schools. 

Oct. 3: Come prepared to dance at the noche de baile in the main quad from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Snacks and prizes will be provided. 

Oct. 5: Lively panel and discussion about how others have empowered themselves through imposter syndrome. Held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. in Griffin Gate. 

Oct. 10: Guacamole competition for the spiciest, most original and the overall best. Held in Griffin Gate from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Oct. 11: National Coming Out Day celebration in the main quad from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy the food and interactive paint wall along with the coming out walkway. 

Oct. 19: “No Mas Bebes” Film screening in 26-220 at 5 p.m.