Movie Review: Buckle up Star Wars nerds

EL CAJON– Star Wars Episode 1: the Phantom menace in 3D made its debut in theatres on February 10. The movie was originally released in 1999 when this modern 3D (which stands for three dimensions) technology in theatres did not exist.

If you are a huge Star Wars nerd like me then you must go see this movie! Yes, I agree 20 bucks for a ticket is pretty ridiculous and yes, I agree Phantom Menace is the worst of the Star Wars movies, but it is completely worth the money!

Before you enter the movie, the theatres give you some sweet red and black Darth Maul collectible 3D glasses. If you are like me, you know that you can easily turn these into some awesome sun glasses that the ladies are sure to love!

Once the lights go down the most exciting sound in the world bursts through the theatre: the sound of John William’s masterpiece, the Star Wars theme. As the triumphant and heroic melody is playing, the opening words appear to scroll from right beneath you. It is one of the greatest phenomena any Star Wars fans must experience.

Now I’m not going to bore you with all the details, because I know we’ve all seen this movie a thousand times.  Even if you haven’t I don’t want to ruin the movie for you. (If you don’t like Star Wars why are you still reading this?) But there are a few scenes that stand out in the movie because the 3D enhanced the depth of the experience.

I was impressed by the pod racing scene on Tatooine. The 3D makes you feel as if you are Anakin, racing through the desert and getting shot at by Tusken Raiders. I couldn’t help but move with the direction of the camera as they were racing through the caves and the rocky arches.

Possibly the greatest scene in the movie, the Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon Jin light saber battle was the epitome of what 3D should be about. It felt like you were there, watching the Jedi and the Sith battle for something greater than themselves.  You could almost see the sweat dripping down Qui-Gon’s face. Lightsabers were flashing everywhere, blurs of red, green and blue. When Darth Maul was finally defeated by Obi-Wan, it felt as if the pit was actually bottomless.

The only bad thing about the movie is what Star Wars fans have been complaining about for years: Jar Jar Binks. I don’t know how it is possible, maybe it is just me, but Jar Jar Binks seems far more annoying in 3D than ever. Regardless, if you could put up with him in the past, you should be able to put up with him now.

Twenty dollars broker and some awesome glasses later, I was pretty satisfied. It isn’t something I would take my girlfriend out to see, (unless she loves Star Wars) but it is for the nostalgic. It reminds you of that time when you wanted to travel the galaxy in the Millennium Falcon, or when you wanted to train to be a Jedi at Coruscant. And that is something us Star War nerds can always relate to.

*
Weber, a student in Media Comm 132A, may be contacted at [email protected]