Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Fall Sports Preview: Griffin athletics look bright for the future.

Totah_Elias

What it takes to be an athlete plays a key role in the development of young talent. Seeing athletes grow each and every day in the sports world is unimaginable. Grossmont College’s athletics program fits the script of being a top-tier athletic program in the community. Young prospects come to mind when this college is being mentioned. Maturity plays a key role in the development of young athletes as well. The way our athletes conduct themselves in a positive manner show a lot of character in the foundation of Grossmont College. Realistically, it makes us look good.

Football. Our football team this season looks to be pretty interesting to watch. The Griffins played their sixth game the other night, and it was not a promising performance on most cylinders. We are now 3-3 through six games played and we’re hanging tough as the season starts to shift into high gear.

Basketball. With the basketball season coming up, you can believe that the Griffins will have a great season. The Griffins, as of late, have been getting quality minutes out of their bigs. They look to get better shooting the ball from the field a little bit more consistently and they need to focus on perimeter defense, but other than that, the team looks smooth and they have had much time to adapt to each other’s’ style of play as well. Earlier this year, the Griffins knocked off the number-two-seeded Mt. San Jaquinto on a Friday night to be co-champions of the Pacific Coast Athletic Conference. Guard Tyson Kygar and sophomore forward Mark Ogden were selected to the All-PCAC first team. Head Coach  Doug Weber was excited about winning a conference championship for a second time.

Baseball. Former Griffin and current USD catcher Jesse Jenner received Louisville Slugger National Player of the week recently. He batted .324, with three homeruns, and 25 RBIs in 38 games last year as a Griffin. It’s very encouraging due to the way he has been playing as of late; those are pretty astounding numbers. Those kind of numbers punched his ticket into playing for the Toreros, batting .419 (31-74) on the season—a well-deserved accomplishment for the youngster.

Requirements. The reputation of a student-athlete is important to scouts, executives, managers, etc. Once a student athlete reaches a certain GPA and has a minimum SAT or ACT score, they must meet the NCAA requirements and meet the transfer admissions requirements for the college or university they will be attending. In order for a student-athlete to be eligible to practice, to play and to receive financial aid, these students must attend the community college for at least three semesters, finish 48 units to transfer to a university, six units of English, three units of math, and three units of physical or natural science. If you are a student being recruited by multiple schools at the same time, you just don’t know where you are going to end up. So many different opportunities open up and it’s the student-athlete’s decision to take the right path in to building an athletic career. Not only do all these students have to meet these respective requirements, they must also finish their academic careers within a five-year span. It is an exciting time for when a student-athlete is being recruited by a big time school. It gets overwhelming, and the excitement spreads through not just the athlete, but his or her family, friends, teammates and coaches. Sports are a luxury to have; they come with hard work and dedication, though. If you do not meet the academic requirements, your chances of fathoming that luxury have come to a minimum.

$0
    $500