Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

It’s been a rebuilding year for Griffins softball.
Alessandro Pabon
Grossmont vs. Mesa

Softball is back at Grossmont after not having a team last season. Craig Fuentes, the new coach for the softball team, got hired in January 2023, but the team played no games. Instead, that year was used as a preparation year to get ready for this one. 

The Griffins have had a rough return to the field, but that is expected, due to getting used to a new staff and not playing any games in 2023. “This year is trying to get a base down for what we are looking for as a program,” Fuentes said. “What we want to do is set standards, goals and make sure we do everything we can to control our energy, effort and attitude.” 

The Griffins currently have a record of 5-24. Their most recent game was played at Grossmont against San Diego Mesa, where they lost 4-3. With a score that close, all it would have taken was a couple of plays to go in favor of the Griffins for them to pull out the victory at home. In the third inning, the Griffins had the bases loaded, but came up with no runs. Even getting one runner home could have shifted the momentum to their side.

When asked what has been consistent about his players, Fuentes said, “The season has been rocky at times, but their overall effort has been inspiring because they continue to fight every single game.”

To have a team play hard no matter the situation is a tell-all sign for great things to come. Fuentes generates respect with his coaching by assisting his team to get stronger dynamically and grow in their sport individually.

Being that there is only one sophomore on the team, the Griffins will be able to carry over the chemistry they created this year over to the next season.They will also be able to get into the swing of things easier because there will be a foundation to build on that they did not have this year. 

Looking forward to next year, Fuentes said he wants “to add more athleticism and increase our softball knowledge and IQ of the game, and at the same time, build on the foundation that we have been creating this year with the players coming back next year.”

With only nine games left and eight being at home, the Griffins hope to end their season on a high note, by winning their last few games of the year and being ready to come back stronger next year.