Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

In Case of Emergency Know What to Do.

Bruce Taylor

In times of crisis, an effective emergency system and evacuation plan optimizes the safety of students, faculty and staff. Whether due to natural disasters, fire emergencies or other unforeseen events, Grossmont College has procedures to create a safe campus.

The District is in the process of updating its access control system. According to the annual security report, the update will enact a one-button lockdown in case of emergency for the majority of doors on campus. 

A new camera system is also expected to be installed district-wide in late spring 2024 to discourage crime. 

Grossmont integrates the use of the Building Marshal Program, where marshals are needed on every floor of every building on campus, as specified by the college’s website. 

Building marshals should be easily spotted as they wear whistles and yellow vests during an emergency. The main goal is to assist individuals to the nearest emergency exit and the building’s emergency point. 

Marshals are also responsible for reporting injuries and the locations of trapped individuals in the building.  

Another safety feature the campus has is Evacu-Trac chairs. The chairs are designed to help people in wheelchairs evacuate and move down the stairs. 

The college website indicates the chairs can be found on the second floor of each building, usually next to the elevators. 

There are multiple procedures for emergencies on campus including, bomb threats, power outages, fires, active threats and active shooters. The procedures can be found in detail at https://grossmont-280d5.web.app/.