Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Adjuncts Unite: Dignity respect for part-timers

On Wed. Feb 25 over six college campuses across San Diego including Grossmont College took place in “National Adjunct walk out day.” Southwestern College, City College, UCSD, Mesa College, and Palomar also held their own rallies on their campuses to show that their adjuncts are more than essential. Adjuncts are best known to us as, not yet full time faculty members that teach at several colleges and do not yet receive full benefits. Students may think of adjuncts as just teachers. These professors show their essential on National adjunct walk out day to take a stand for their rights to prove that they should be treated the same as other full-time faculty. Ian Duckles, Adjunct Professor of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Cuyamaca stated in his article National Adjunct Walkout Day: A Primer, “The goal with NAWD is systemic change. That is the goal. But there are steps towards achieving that goal, such as raising awareness about the situation of adjuncts.”

On Grossmont campus there was an hour long rally held in the quad in front of the LRTC building. Full time professors, adjuncts, and student interns all spoke their mind at the podium this day and demanded the respect that they deserve.They provided also a letter to the governor pre-written that addressed many points that could benefit adjuncts in the long run. They hoped that all of the letters signed and sent would hopefully make a difference towards the way adjuncts are treated now. In a short interview with a Grossmont Math instructor who’s an adjunct at Grossmont, City and Southwestern College, Dan Greenheck who said, “You’ll never see me miss a day of class because of the consequences that might follow.” This gives you an insight into the adjunct mind that their jobs are always on the line no matter what, and they have “no seniority” as do the full time teachers as also said by Greenheck. A change must be made and thats what our school is aiming for with events held like this and many other schools.The AFT were also there to pass out positive stickers and buttons to students to wear.  They want the message that is being put out to be a positive one and not negative, they want equality amongst all adjuncts and full time teachers.

$0
    $500