Literary Acorns

The Acorn Review recently held its annual fall readings series.

Literary+Acorns

Abdali Khan, Staff Writer

More than 60 poets, writers and listeners participated in a reading held by Grossmont’s own literary magazine the Acorn Review on Sept. 14.

Julie Cardenas, the publication’s faculty advisor, said the celebration was open to all residents of San Diego County.

Cardenas said all participants of the events, as well as other poets and writers, can submit their work online to the department for publication. She encouraged the participants to enroll in English 145 if they were interested in joining the editorial staff for the Spring 2022 semester.

“Copies of the new issues of Acorn Review will be available soon for purchase on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com,” Cardenas said.

Among participants who read their articles, poems and literary prose, Sajda Sims read three poems.

From “Sadness,” Sims read: “The memory of me would be a Pollock piece | Bleeding inside, craving it to rise to the surface.”  Participants of the meeting also liked another of Sim’s poems that was called “Oof, the first poem was deep, I’m broken.”

This was the Acorn Review annual reading series, which has been celebrated each year since Grossmont’s campus opened on Sept. 14, 1964. 

Copies of the Acorn Review can be purchased from the campus bookstore or from barnesandnoble.com.