Championship Preview: Super Bowl LVII

The NFL season reaches its finale as the Philadelphia Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs gear up for a potential slugfest in Arizona.

It’s finally here! After 17 weeks of regular season games and three weeks of postseason play, Super Bowl LVII has arrived. 

With the league two years removed from tough pandemic restrictions, this championship looks to be especially exciting. It features a matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles, the NFL’s number-one teams from both the National (NFC) and American (AFC) football conferences.

Both teams’ offensive units are coming to the game ranking top of the league, according to Pro Football Reference, which promises explosive outbursts of scoring from both sides.

Defensively, the Eagles have the edge with its league-ranked eighth-best squad compared to the Chiefs’ 16th-ranked group. However, Philadelphia will need all the juice it can going against the league MVP and leading passer in Chiefs Quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Many students at Grossmont College are preparing for the game, either planning parties with friends and family or settling down to enjoy an exciting match. 

“I don’t have a horse in the race,” Student Aaron Luna said. “The Eagles bullied my Niners as well, but I’d rather see them win the Super Bowl over Kansas City.”

This Super Bowl is historically significant because of its young starting quarterbacks. Not only are both Jalen Hurts and Mahomes talented players continuing to rise in the NFL, but they also mark

the first time in league history a Black quarterback will start on both championship teams. Taking place during Black History Month, the game also puts a spotlight on how diversity in the league has evolved over the decades. 

“Football has come a long way from the ‘50s and ‘60s where NFL and college scouts were purposefully ignoring certain Black position figures or minority players,” Luna said. 

Some other notable position players to watch out for include Eagles Pro Bowl Halfback Miles Sanders, who has been having a stellar season, ranking fifth highest in rushing yards and fourth in touchdowns. Kansas City’s Tight End Travis Kelce is also someone to keep an eye on. With his brother Jason Kelce snapping balls on the other team to Hurts, Travis Kelce will be catching them

from Mahomes with the same hands that led him to second in receiving scores across the whole league. 

The halftime show this year is also sure to be a spectacle, with Grammy-award winning artist Rihanna taking the stage to much fanfare. With her last album release in 2016, the singer said her performance setlist will be a “celebration of my catalog.” 

Commercials are another entertaining feature for audiences, especially because the production value is amped up for ultra-expensive marketing pieces. Some people, like Grossmont Student Emily Bobb, are tuning in to the game primarily for said commercials and their “wacky” content.

For students and other individuals who want to watch the game, Super Bowl LVII will be broadcasted on Feb. 12 on Fox and available for live streaming over the Fox Sports app for free. 

Those without television or streaming access can also listen to the game over the radio on Westwood One and SiriusXM NFL Radio Channel 88. Kickoff is set at 3:30 p.m., with pregame coverage beginning at 10 a.m.