Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Commentary: America is a land of freedom, but sometimes it can be immature about different lifestyles such as LGBT

Diana, left, and Adaline

Story and photo by Issac Jeitler

GROSSMONT COLLEGE – Not all countries allow for the liberty to choose one’s partner.  The United States is one of those places where “freedom” is continuously stretched to new bounds.  Land of the free it may be, but not always will these freedoms and lifestyles be accepted.

Adaline, an audio major at Grossmont College, has aspirations to one day work in the industry by being able to do any and all tasks put before her.  In her mid 20s, Adaline has the choice to go to college, apply where she wants to work, live where she desires and date whom she so chooses. Adaline chose Diana.  (Both asked that their surnames not be used in this story.)

Diana, a woman’s studies major with a minor in economics, and Adaline have been together for three years, and living together for two.  Both plan on moving to Colorado in the future to attend graduate school. These are all choices they had the freedom to make, but being accepted for who they are is another story.

You may hear from talk shows, internet blogs, or even Lady Gaga’s, “Born this way” that some people are literally born into the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender) community.  Going from personal experience, Adaline added that youths growing up, “should be open minded to their emotions.  Don’t categorize yourself, go with what you want regardless what others think.”

Knowledge and strength can allow curious and uncertain individuals to stand up for what and who they want to be in life.

Coming out with one’s sexuality preference is not always easy and it’s even more difficult to be completely open with anyone you may come across.  Adaline does not have this problem.  Fully embracing who she is, you won’t see her acting any differently than any other person you will encounter throughout life.  Aside from a few stares when she and Diana go out, they are treated much the same as any other couple, as they should be since they have the right to the pursuit of happiness.  “Everyone has the risk of being stared at, we’re no different.”

Acceptance of the LGBT community is far from universal.  Some members face bullying, vulgarities and discrimination.  Each generation of people has to deal with new hate crimes and disparities.  All sorts of people have their prejudices and will continue having them in future generations, but one way to slow the spread of negativity is through awareness.

Adaline said that she hopes that “within a few decades, the newer generations will be more acceptable” to society general, but says she is also well aware
that some people will always side with “ignorance.”

Bullying presumably has been ongoing since the dawn of man and still continues today in all communities, not just the LGBT.  While it is a shame there is no sure way to completely eliminate abusing bullies, some campuses have clubs or counsellors for students to reach out in order to receive help or insight.  Adaline suggested that, “training people on campuses so that students can ask them questions about bullying and sexuality would be a good idea.”

While there may not be any changes in the near future, we can all hope that maturity sets in over the years and more people accept lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender individuals for who they are, and not just focus on their sexual preferences.

Live life long through being happy and enjoy the freedoms offered to you, not by discriminating someone else’s lifestyle.

*
Jeitler is features editor of the GC Summit. He may be contacted at [email protected]