Pianist Petrosyan, woodwind quintet to highlight 2 concerts

GROSSMONT COLLEGE  (Press Release)– The Symphony Woodwind Quintet including musicians on flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon and French horn, will perform  Thursday and Friday evenings, Nov.17 and 18. Performers will include Katherine Petrosyan on piano and members of the Grossmont College Symphony Orchestra. Selections will be from such  composers as Gustav Theodore Holst, Johannes Brahms, Francis Poulenc and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The performance at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 17, will be held at the Grossmont College Recital Hall, Building #26, Room #200, on the college campus. General admission is $10 per person, $8 for seniors and $5 for students. Children 12 and under are free with paid adult admission.

The performance at 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18, will be held at the All Saints Episcopal Church, 625 Pennsylvania Ave., San Diego. Admission is free at the church, however a free-willing offering will be held.

Petrosyan is an extraordinary pianist. She graduated from the Moscow State College of Music earning a Bachelor of Music degree in piano performance in 2003. She also earned a Master of Music degree in piano performance in 2008 from the Maimonid State Academy of Classical Art. She has studied with internationally respected pianist Victor Derevianko, who was a student of famed piano pedagogue, Heinrich Neuhaus. 

Petroysan has received numerous honors in international piano competitions to include international piano festivals of Lithuania, and Tel-Hai (Israel), including the Frederic Chopin Piano Competition in Moscow, Russia. While in Israel, Katherine had the opportunity to study with famed pianist Nikolai Petrov.

Active as a performer since 1992, Petrosyan has concertized throughout Russia, Siberia, Armenia, Lithuania, Israel and the United States having performed in such venues as the Small Hall of Moscow, the Tchaikovsky Conservatory, the Rachmaninov Hall of Moscow, the Music Hall of the Gnesin Russian Academy, the Music Hall Museum of Glinka, and the International Music Hall of Svetlanov in Moscow.

In addition to her performing career, she has professionally accompanied solo instrumentalists and choirs throughout Russia and the United States, having been offered an accompanying contract by the esteemed Bolshoi Ballet just prior to her relocation to the United States.

In San Diego, Petrosyan is staff accompanist for the Grossmont College Music Department. She has previously accompanied for such local institutions as Point Loma Nazarene University, the University of San Diego, the University of California at San Diego. Petrosyan also maintains a private studio and performs regularly with her violinist husband, Michael (Mikhail) Dvoskin, while currently serving as accompanist for the East Village Community Church of San Diego.

*
Preceding provided by the Grossmont College Public Information Office and the Grossmont College Friends of Music