Symphony, chorale to highlight music of Azerbaijan March 10

SAN DIEGO (Press Release)–The Grossmont Symphony Orchestra and Master Chorale will be celebrating the rich musical heritage of Azerbaijan in a performance on Saturday, March 10 at 8 p.m. at the Birch North Park Theatre, 2891 University Ave., San Diego.

With the country’s musical tradition influenced by neighboring Russia, some of Azerbaijan’s greatest master composers will be featured, along with Azeri folk artists Mehdi Bagheri, Parisa Daneshvar, and Amir Etemadzadeh on original instruments.

Featured performers:

Mehdi Bagheri: One of the most  talented musicians of Kamancheh from his generation. He began studying music at the age of 12 and received his master’s degree from Arak University in 2004. Mehdi was a student of music masters including Ardeshir Kamkar. Mehdi has performed around the world, and in 2006, he joined the Daneshvar Ensemble, an Iranian music performance ensemble located in southern California. As part of the Daneshvar Music Institute, the ensemble performs and trains aspiring musicians.

Parisa Daneshvar: Her music talent is focused on Ney, a Persian flute. She received her initial music instruction from Hassan Mekaniki, and later was guided by the master of traditional Persian music, Ustad Mohammad ali Kianinejad. Parisa also received instruction from Ustad Soodabeh Salem about teaching music to children and music technique. Parisa now lives in southern California and is a founding member of the Danshvar Music Ensemble Institute.

Amir Etemadzadeh: A professional musician in San Diego. Born and raised in Tehran, Iran, he received extensive training in Persian classical music and specialized in hand percussion. Amir is also the founder/director of the Drumming Center (Amir School of Music).

Admission to the concert is $25 for a premium ticket, $15 general admission and $10 for students. Tickets may be purchased online at www.grossmontsymphony.org.

*
Preceding provided by the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District public information office