Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Winter Intersession Travel

Winter break is approaching, traveling is around the corner, and college students have a budget; here’s how to travel without breaking the bank.
+Oleksandr+P
Oleksandr P

With breaks come great traveling opportunities. For many college students and young adults, the desire to explore the world is a dream they hold dear, but the reality for most is that it’s too expensive.

Online sources suggest budgeting and saving are the keys to affordable travel, but such advice often lacks practical guidance. 

Tristen Duque is traveling to Switzerland over his winter break. As a college student, he said he doesn’t have the luxury to spend an immense amount of money on his trip. Instead, he learned how to budget his trip and still keep some of his savings. 

Duque shared a valuable tip: “Before signing off on the package deal, look for flights and hotels separately and you might find better deals.”

Expedia, an American travel technology company, is a good place to look for flights and hotels. While it does offer bundled deals for trips, you may find more wallet-friendly options when purchased individually.

Addison Jarman, an Instagram influencer, shared savvy advice on how to buy roundtrip tickets for cheap. She recommended using Google Flight on Safari, where inputting only your departure point and leaving the destination blank will reveal roundtrip flights at fantastic prices on an interactive map. 

Another way to save while traveling is establishing fixed budgets for various spending, including food, shopping and transportation. This approach ensures you stay within your limits and know what to anticipate.

Before finalizing your travel plans, extensive research is crucial. Duque found that even the travel date can significantly impact costs and experiences. For instance, he considered visiting Switzerland in January, but reconsidered due to the higher costs and potential disruptions caused by the weather.

If international travel is on your agenda, it’s important to know its specific travel rules and conditions. Ignorance in this regard can lead to a bad trip, or worse, getting stuck in a winter storm.

If you plan on traveling closer to home this winter break but are still worried about spending too much money, consider places where you already have connections.

Ashleigh Lin, a recent college graduate and high school teacher, recently traveled to New York. 

“It’s convenient to travel to New York because my brother lives there and I get to stay for free,” Lin said. “I just have to pay for all my other expenses.”

Being able to cut down an expense or two can be beneficial while traveling. If you have the opportunity, coordinating housing arrangements with friends or family can reduce travel costs and simplify your stay. 

Meticulous planning and savvy deal-hunting are the keys to enjoying your winter break travels without breaking the bank. 

Whether you’re journeying abroad or exploring closer to home, take the time to research your options, set budgets, and make the most of your connections to ensure a memorable and budget-friendly trip.