Griffin Athletics Recap

With the school year ending, so are a lot of the sports at Grossmont. How did the season go?
Image by Pixabay

Men’s Volleyball

The Griffins fell just one game short of a positive record, finishing their season with nine wins and 10 losses. Even though the season ended with this record, it was a major improvement from the 2023 season, where the Griffins only won one game. The team’s strong point is playing better at away games than home ones, which is rare for most other teams. The Griffins went 1-5 at home, 7-4 away and 1-1 at neutral sites. With the team’s major improvement from the 2023 to the 2024 season, the Griffins are expected to keep their streak of improvement and bring it into the 2025 season.

Beach Volleyball

The beach volleyball program has been historically good at Grossmont, and this year proved history true. The Griffin’s season ended with 13 wins and 10 losses, which landed the team a spot in the SoCal Team Regionals playoffs. In the playoffs, the Griffins won their first game 3-2 against Santa Barbara, but fell short against San Diego Mesa 3-1. The Griffins hope to continue their strong team dynamic, winning games and pushing further into the playoffs.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team finished with a 5-7 record as a team, but still had success in the doubles event and the singles event. Chiara Burgin and Sydney McClain were able to win the 2024 Pacific Coast Athletic Conference (PCAC) doubles championship and qualified for the California Community College Tennis Championships. The Griffins have three doubles teams: Chiara Burgin and Sydney McClain, Jessica Stuman and Lucille Braunschweig, and Debbie Humphrey and Grace Ellis. All three qualified for the CCC Tennis Championships, with Chiara Burgin and Sydney McClain also qualifying for the singles event. Unfortunately, the players did not win at the CCC Championships, but having that many players qualify shows it was a good season for Grossmont Women’s Tennis.

Softball

Since Grossmont did not have a softball team in 2023, It was a rebuilding year for the team and they were bound to have a rocky first season back. In its return to the field, the team finished 7-31. Along with the new season, the program welcomed Coach Craig Fuentes, who had his first season coaching at Grossmont this year. As the season went on, the team’s improvement gradually showed, and the Griffins had games in the second half of the season that were only lost by one run. Twelve out of the 13 players on the roster are freshmen, so there will be a lot of returning faces wanting to continue to get better next season. The softball team next year will look to improve and build upon this year.

Baseball

The Griffin’s baseball team finished their season with a record of 16 wins and 22 losses. The team finished their season strong, winning four out of their last six games and their last game was a 9-0 victory over San Diego Mesa. The Griffins may have got off to a slow start this season, but they battled hard and finished on a high note. Most of the team are freshmen, so expect the team to be better coming back next season with an extra year under their belt.