Festival Expectations

Festival Expectations

Campus construction leads to frustration for students with disabilities.
Mya Alexander
Construction on the south-east side of campus.

Grossmont College always seems to be under construction, and the current rebuilding of buildings next to the parking structure is no exception.

Issues have risen for students since the college underwent a five-year construction plan. Students who are wheelchair-bound or blind have been impacted by the construction immensely, and issues are increasing due to limited resources and loud noises being produced by the ongoing construction. 

A.J Fiume, a student at Grossmont, said, “The construction makes it hard for me to get around the college, regardless of the day.” This issue causes frustration, not only for Fiume, but for other disabled students enrolled at Grossmont.

In addition to the chaos, accessibility for students with disabilities or blindness has become increasingly difficult. Collaboration with disabled students to identify potential accessibility barriers and develop a plan to address them would be a step in the right direction for the campus. 

Sophomore Gwin Curiel said, “It was hard for me to get around campus, seeing how much ground was being taken up, and I had to come early so that I wouldn’t be late.”

There have not been any new announcements regarding the end of construction, even though it seems like workers are always on-site when students arrive at their classes. 

The construction has greatly limited students, as the campus is now implementing restricted access to certain parts of the grounds. This means students have to travel further distances to get from Building 42 to Building 43.   

All differently-abled students who are affected by the construction should communicate with their instructor to prevent tardiness or being marked late to class. 

For more information, reach out to the Accommodations Resource Center (ARC) on campus or email [email protected] if assistance is needed.